Help Wanted!! Cheer Canada Medical Team Lead (Volunteer Position)
Submission Deadline: May 19, 2023
Click Here to Download (ENGLISH)
Click Here to Download (FRENCH)
Cheer Canada is soliciting applications for the newly created position of Medical Team Lead for the 2023-24 and 2024-2025 seasons.
Reporting to the Cheer Canada Board of Directors, the successful applicant for this volunteer position will oversee the efficient and successful operation of the Cheer Canada medical team while serving as the chief contact between Cheer Canada’s Board of Directors and the medical team.
Specifically, the successful applicant will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
- To ensure the efficient operation of the Cheer Canada medical team.
- To serve as the main communication contact between the medical team and Cheer Canada.
- To supervise all members of the Cheer Canada medical team.
- To select medical team members and assign schedules as needed.
- To assign and establish medical team members’ roles within the medical team.
- To become familiar with the competencies of the medical team to ensure that team abilities are maximized.
- To assign attending medical team members to a cheer program (all-girl or coed) thus limiting redundancies and ensuring continuity of care.
- To prepare and/or oversee emergency plans for Cheer Canada events.
- To oversee medical decisions, provide medical clearance and return to play decisions in the event of significant injury.
- To encourage feedback and intake from medical team members and provide final approval for any on-field decisions.
- To oversee the annual Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) process including the submission of applications to the International Cheer Union, thus ensuring that all necessary applications have been received and accepted.
- To prepare and maintain emergency medical files for all athletes and staff of traveling Cheer Canada
- To communicate important medical information to emergency medical personnel in the event of an emergency and ensure necessary safe discharge.
- To communicate with next of kin/legal guardian in the event of an emergency, facilitate communication and act as an advocate if necessary.
- To manage all Cheer Canada medical online accounts responding in a timely manner.
- To prepare and/or review all medical content that is circulated under the Cheer Canada label.
- To maintain professional boundaries, ethics and confidentiality and ensure same from subordinates.
- To attend and premier camps throughout the seasons and assign staff to said camps.
- To provide medical expertise in matters of health and safety to the Cheer Canada as needed.
- To develop and oversee a yearly budget for the portfolio.
- To approve all purchases for members of the medical team.
- To convey and educate Cheer Canada’s medical policies and procedures to all members of the team.
- To attend Cheer Canada meetings and provide reports as required.
- To attend Cheer Canada national and international events as directed.
The ideal candidate should possess the following traits:
- Impeccable professional ethics.
- A resident of Canada who is able to work in Canada.
- Strong planning and operational skills.
- Good communication and collaborative skills.
- Strong leadership and team-building skills.
- A sense of advocacy and fairness for all athletes.
- Current medical knowledge.
- Superior medical credentials.
- Thorough knowledge of Cheer Canada’s safe sport policy.
- A member in good standing in one’s professional order (submit suitable documentation of certification and licensure).
- Current first aid certification such as BLS +/- ACLS and ATLS (submit suitable documentation).
- Awareness of personal and professional limitations with the ability to solicit assistance when appropriate.
- Bilingual competencies in French and English (or more).
Interested candidates should submit their resume AND a cover letter outlining their qualifications and vision for the position to the Cheer Canada Executive Committee c/o email@example.com.
The application deadline is Friday, May 19, 2023. Those applications failing to provide a cover letter will NOT be considered for the position. For further information, please contact Gary Oswald, Executive Director at the aforementioned email address.
Cheer Canada is committed to providing equal opportunities for all of our volunteers that are free of discrimination based on age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, religion, or sexual orientation.