Team Canada Cheer Abilities
**Cheer Canada reserves the right to make changes to this process pending the development of COVID-19 cases in Canada and around the world.**
Information and Selection Process
The Cheer Canada High Performance Committee is looking for Canada’s best to represent our country at the 2021 ICU World Cheerleading Championships. Canada has had tremendous success and support over the last 11 years of competing at the ICU World Championships and we are confident that this tradition will continue in the Special Abilities and Adaptive Abilities divisions.
2021 Division Representation: Team Canada is proud to be represented by our 2020 Teams who will represent Cheer Canada in the following divisions:
- Team Cheer Special Olympics Traditional Division – Teams comprised of 100% athletes with intellectual disabilities per team.
- Adaptive Abilities Unified Median (equivalent to Level 3, males/females, no basket tosses – with Adaptive Abilities rule modifications)
2021 Division Representation Opportunities:
Please present in whichever division best suits your athletes.
Team Cheer Unified Division – Teams comprised of 50% or more athletes with intellectual disabilities per team.
Team Cheer Traditional Division – Teams comprised of 100% athletes with intellectual disabilities per team.
Team Cheer Freestyle Pom Unified Division – Teams comprised of 50% or more athletes with intellectual disabilities per team
Team Cheer Freestyle Pom Traditional Division – Teams comprised of 100% athletes with intellectual disabilities per team.
Team Cheer Hip Hop Unified Division – Teams comprised of 50% or more athletes with intellectual disabilities per team.
Team Cheer Hip Hop Traditional Division – Teams comprised of 100% athletes with intellectual disabilities per team.
Adaptive Abilities (Paracheer):
Adaptive Abilities Unified All Girl Advanced (equivalent to Level 4, no basket tosses – with Adaptive Abilities rule modifications)
Adaptive Abilities Unified Coed Advanced (equivalent to Level 4, no basket tosses – with Adaptive Abilities rule modifications)
Adaptive Abilities Unified Team Cheer Hip Hop
Adaptive Abilities Unified Team Cheer Freestyle Pom
*Adaptive Abilities Unified teams must be comprised of 25% or more athletes with ANY disability.
Team Composition and Age Eligibility
- Teams must meet athlete numbers and age requirements as per the ICU Rules
Note – Ages are based on being eligible during the year of the competition and 2021 Teams can be formed from ANY Club, School, Group or Region in Canada. There will be no preference given to All-Star Clubs or School teams, regionally representative teams or those from one organization.
Application and Submission of Video
- Complete Application form before 11:59pm on December 31st, 2020 (link will be available soon)
- Submit $500 Application Fee by e-transfer or PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete Roster including alternates / substitutes. Roster must include full names and Cheer Canada membership number for all athletes and coaches.
- Team leader must confirm all athletes are age eligible.
- ONLY athletes who are intended to be competing should be on roster.
- Provide link to “Private” YouTube Video for Adjudication.
Video should include:
- Routine appropriate for the Division(s) in which you are applying to represent.
- Please see the full set of ICU Rules and Guidelines for details
- Routine should be a minimum of 2 minutes
General Suggestions for video submissions
- Please show full version of the routine with NO EDITING
- Best angle is from as far back as possible and centred — single camera showing whole routine
- Have fun and be sure the video shows your spirit and love of the sport!
As was done for the 2020 Video Adjudication, an impartial judging panel will be assembled and will be comprised of a minimum of 5 ICU judges from across the country.
This panel will include recommended judges from Provincial Associations and transparently judge all videos submitted.
Judging will be completed by January 10th and teams notified by January 15th, 2021.
Please know that while some logistical support and advice will be provided regarding the trip to ICU Worlds, the travel arrangements and all other aspects (including competition entry fees & clothing package) will be the responsibility of the teams.
*** Selected teams will be expected to comply with CCES guidelines and all Cheer Canada National Team policies and procedures.
Good luck to all. We look forward to receiving amazing videos from all parts of Canada.